Setting Monthly Goals, part 2 (part 1 found here)
As I sat down to write out my goals for 2015, I realized creating goals for the ENTIRE year was overwhelming. I know myself and I know the way I like to do things. I (truthfully), don’t trust myself enough to plan for the next 365 days and to stick to it.
Why is this? Well, for one, it’s just very overwhelming! No one can predict tomorrow, of course I am aware of that, however, the next month seems easier to forecast than the next 12 months. Second, taking baby steps to reach a goal is much more effective in this process. When you can celebrate small milestones, you feel more successful and accomplished. Third, what if I create a goal and decide I no longer want to pursue that goal? Setting a timeline, such as a month, gives me time to see if it is something I truly want to commit to. If I decide I don’t, I am not a failure for stopping early.
For these reasons I have decided to share two, one month long goals I have for myself and I hope you will share a month long goal or 2 with me as well!
As I mentioned in my last post on goal setting, the best way to find success in meeting your goals is to write them out. I shared with you a link to OhLardy’s printable goals worksheet and have used their guidelines to create 2 different and specific goals for myself for the next month. I was very happy to have this worksheet, because, as I was writing, I realized I had no idea where I was going with my goals. The idea of measuring my success never occurred to me, neither did the idea of being realistic. I was just planning to wing it, without taking these specifics into consideration.
You can find the questions to the Goal Setting questions HERE. The following are my answers.
- I will practice Yoga 4x each week for one month. The purpose of this goal is to sleep better and to feel a better connection between body and mind. I will practice in the morning before I begin working.
- Specified the number of days I would practice (4x) and when I would practice (before I begin work).
- I will know I have succeeded because I will have spent time on my mat, at least 4 days each week. I will also use a calendar to keep track of days so I can see if I am on track to meet my goal. I will also be sleeping better! (So I am told!)
- Keep my mat in plain sight and initially I will post my success to the BalanceByDina Facebook Page.
- 4x a week allows for having to miss due to unforeseen circumstances. 30 days is a realistic amount of time. It will allow me to see some success (eg sleeping better). It also allows me to determine if Yoga is something I want in my life.
- This practice will be a part of my life 4x a week for 30 days.
My second goal is as follows (again, worksheet with questions can be found here)
- Be out of bed 35 minutes before my kids wake up so I can let the dogs out, make my coffee and start the diffusers in their bedrooms.
- Wake up at 6:25am Monday-Friday for the next 30 days.
- Get out of bed, let the dogs out, have my coffee and put oils in the diffusers before my kids wake up.
- Set an alarm for 6:15. I will make sure I am in bed by 9:45pm so I can be asleep by 10:15 (I need a solid 8hrs of sleep each night).
- It’s not too early in the morning and it allows me some extra time to stay in bed after my alarm goes off.
- I plan to do this for the next 30 days.
So there you have it. my 2 goals for the next 30 days. I hope you will print up the worksheet and join me for the next 30 days in achieving our goals. I plan to start this on Monday the 19th of January and will have met my goal by February 18th 2015. I plan to check into my Facebook Page (found here) each time I have completed a goal. I would love to have you check in along with me! Feel free to send me a private message or comment on my Facebook post and we can do it together! As I mentioned in the last post, being accountable is key!